[CS-FSLUG] Really bad situation

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Aug 8 10:58:11 CDT 2004

I'm going to try to reply to all three replies I got here :-)

Its running a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz with hyper threading on an ASUS p4p8x.
The temperatures seem fine, I was monitoring them yetsterday and didn't see any of them go over 42 C
I haven't installed service pack 2 this time, I did once however when OSNews had an article on the windows update beta site and I went over to take a look, the next time I went for a windows update it went to the beta site instead of the normal one and I would up with SP 2. Since then I've had to reinstall though.

I've checked the ram with memtest86 although I don't know how good that is at finding problems with the ram.

There are no missing DLL files in Windows, every time I reinstall I make sure the old partition is reformatted.

I think the problem in Windows is a software conflict, I've seen some evidence to that end, mainly when I'm not running a certain program the computer runs fine.

My problems have switched from windows to the computer itself however, in trying to fix the stablity issue in Windows I did what someone recommended to me and I had the BIOS reset its default ("failsafe") settings. Since doing that the BIOS has prompted me for setup every time I boot but it never remembers the settings even if I set them from the bios setup menu. Reboting the computer results in it more or less locking up with the screen off but the power still on and I can't get into X in Linux because the BIOS won't store settings so the mainboard is only supporting 64 MB of my video memory on a card that has 128. Also last night for approximately 10 minutes the fan on the power supply stopped while the computer was running, it resumed working but the hardware probe still reported it as being at 0 RPM.