[CS-FSLUG] Really bad situation

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Sun Aug 8 08:13:37 CDT 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 05:09 am, Clawman wrote:
> Well,
>
> >For well over a month now Windows XP has been running terribly unstable,
> > in a best case scenario uptime has reached about 5 minutes, I don't know
> > whats wrong with the thing
>
> That service pack two did my wife's in.
>---------------------------------
>
> >The only possible lead I have is that the video card monitor at one point
> > said that the card was overheating or something along those lines, I
> > didn't catch the full message since it went away fairly quickly and ever
> > since then I've checked the monitor regularly to find that the Video card
> > was running at a perfectly reasonable temperature.
>
> Here are some questions:
> What processor is the machine running and what motherboard?
> Are any temperature alarms going off? (when you reboot, check all
> the temps in the bios)
> Have you installed service pack 2?

I'm wondering if this is the same problem that me and some others on the list
suggested checking your memory modules to see if they are bad?

If this is so, did you check them? If you have some extra modules swap them
out with the other modules, and while your at it, check to see if your
graphics card and any other cards you have are seated properly in their
slots.

Make sure there are no missing backplates or drive covers. This can cause the
system to not cool properly. Because the fans are designed to draw air into
the case, so make sure nothing is blocking the air flow.

If you have a processor fan, make sure it's working if not, what processor do
you have? I have plenty of fans and I can send you one.

And last but not least, check and see if you have sufficient power. If you
have a Multimeter check the voltages on your power supply to make sure it's
not getting ready to go to the graveyard.

If none of this helps, let us know, there could be a million things causing
these reboots but I suspect one of the above.

One more question. Is this a custom built box or stock?

--
David M.