[CS-FSLUG] Nathan

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Apr 25 18:31:33 CDT 2004

Chris Brault wrote:

>Well,
>

>>"stick with one distribution and make it work".
>>

>We call this the Fedora Core syndrone.

>>Fedora Core had messed up the KDE menu and left out
>>some of the
>>applications that I wouldn't want to use Linux
>>without.
>>

>Obviously, you haven't used the master of tools,
>synapic, with the repositories of doom!!!
>Muahahahaahahahaha!  Actually, I'd wait for FC 2,
>which comes standard with alot of cool stuff,
>including the 2.6 kernel and cool admin tools.

I tried to get synaptic to work but for some reason the search feature
wouldn't work and its response time to gui events was very delayed.

>>I was very comfortable with Mandrake Linux, I used
>>Linux all the time
>>with Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 but as soon as 9.2 came
>>out I couldn't use it
>>any more because it wouldn't properly work with
>>mount points, I thought
>>I had a reliable system until I upgraded to 9.2 and
>>was faced with the
>>need to find a new distribution.
>>

>I write my own config tools. Why? Because it is fun to
>program on Linux.

I would too but most of what I would write already exists, why re-invent
the wheel?

>>I've had a graphical user interface
>>for the majority of the work and a command line for
>>some programs and for compiling my own programs.
>>

>That sounds about right!

>>whats frustrating me is that
>>everyone seems to be telling me that I can't try any
>>distribution, I have to stick with the first one I
>>run into and "make it work". The other think thats
>>pushing me away from Linux are the other users in
>>the IRC channels, for example the people in the SUSE
>>

>>channel on freenode
>>

>Actually, the correct advice is to hack a distro to
>death! ;P Once you learn one, then the next one is easier.

Thats what I've been doing but unfortunately its the only thing I've
been doing, in trying to get a distribution to work I end up having to
do so much configuration that it eventually gets to the point where it
won't boot because I've tried my best to configure everything but
accidentally left something out, that doesn't happen with distributions
that have graphical configuration tools though. What surprises me is
that Mandrake's control center is most likely either GPLed or LGPLed as
is SUSE's YaST now but few distributions have either unless derived off
Mandrake or SUSE in the first place, the same goes for Ark's mission
control which is only found in one other distribution that I know of and
Fedora's tools are as far as I know only in Fedora and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux.