[CS-FSLUG] Nathan

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Apr 25 18:25:58 CDT 2004

David McGlone wrote:

>On Sunday 25 April 2004 03:48 pm, N. Thompson wrote:
>

>>>If I might make such a bold suggestion: whaddya say about taking off
>>>that blog post for now? Try the peacemaking steps Jesus gave us: go
>>>contact the people privately that you feel have hurt you. I bet they
>>>will apologize and say they never meant to imply what you feel they are
>>>implying. If not, talk to this list as a whole and see if we can't
>>>resolve things. If none of that resolves the situation for you, then go
>>>ahead and paste that entry back online -- I just doubt that will be
>>>necessary.
>>>
>>>	Just keep in mind we all love ya, bro.
>>>
>>>	Blessings to you...
>>>
>>>	-Tim
>>>

>>Sure, I can take the blog post down, I didn't realize how it would be
>>interpreted until I read David's post.
>>

>The purpose of me asking if I could put it on my blog instead of nate taking
>it down is because most members that nathan has refered to, hasn't had a
>chance to read it so they could respond appropriatly and try to explain to
>nathan their exact words.
>
>Or it would be just as good to post the blog entry on the list so it can be
>discussed.

Ok, the blog post is in the attachment.

>Another reason it would be good is because people can refer back to the
>mailing archives in an effort to explain to Nathan what they really mean in
>contrast to what Nathan had posted in an attempt to help him feel better and
>let him know that we were not trying to be mean, but trying to get him to
>realize things.
>
>I offered to try and help you with your Mandrake, IIRC Tim did too. And this
>was when version 9.2 had just came out.

There was nothing either you or Tim could have done unless you knew how
to fix the problem, as I recall you didn't even experience it on you're
systems. I turn off supermount and I set it up so any user can mount and
unmount all removable media drives I would also select the no-auto
option so the drive would not be handled automatically because in my
experience thats been problematic. For some reason in Mandrake 9.2 when
a drive was mounted it wouldn't register as being so, while I could
browse it I could also accidentally mount it a second time and from then
on I would neither be able to unmount the drive nor my home folder even
when shutting down. This might not have sounded so bad because I could
just remember what was mounted and what wasn't but every time urpmi
wanted one of the mandarke CD's or I forgot and used kiwkdisk to mount
or unmount drives the drive would get mounted twice and the mount system
would get stuck.

>From there, I don't remember everything in order, but somehow you ended up
>running gentoo? or some other distro that you said you bought and didn't want
>to abandon until you felt you got your money's worth.

I bought a copy of Xandros Linux, unfortunately the software was
outdated and the folks at Xandros kept promising updates but never
released much of anything. I wanted KDevelop 3 and Qt 3.2 but all they
did was update Kopete and a few other trivial applications. I also
couldn't customize it much because there was very little software
available, the included version of bzFlag was ancient and I couldn't get
any KDE themes to compile.

>But I kept trying to persuade you to go back to Mandrake and I would give you
>all the help I could in an effort to get your system running smoothly.
>
>You also ignored that offer for help.

I was trying different distributions at that time.

>You then was offered SuSE disks from IIRC Ed Hurst? or somebody, and they
>burnt you a copy of SuSE and even paid for the shipping to send you those
>CD's in an effort to try and help you out. While you were trying out SuSE,
>you IIRC stated that you didn't like Mandrake anymore, and SuSE was working
>good  for you at the moment, except for a few minor things you didn't
>perticularily like.

SUSE was nice, the free FTP version was what I tried first, it was
missing a few packages I think were left out on purpose to convince
users that they would be better off purchasing a boxed copy which had
the missing packages on CD. The problem with that was that
OpenOffice.org would run very slow because of a missing libjawt.so which
wasn't available in the FTP install version and SUSE plugger would hang
for a minute or more when I would insert or remove my USB thumb drive.
When the SUSE CD's Ed sent got here they wouldn't read, I tried cleaning
them with some sort tissue after they failed to read three or four times
and after that it seemed to be going fine but despite having cleaned all
the disks for some reason it still failed to install some packages and
it turned out to be unbootable.

>Somehow along the way I think you ended up back with mandrake, until here
>recently you decided to give Fedora Core 1 a shot after I had installed it
>and praised it in some areas.

I tried Mandrake 10.0 when the communit edition was released because I
was considering going back to that, everthing was going perfect until it
messed up with my USB thumb drive and every time I would plug it in it
would create a new desktop icon for it, after a while that would fill up
my desktop.

>and while you were running fedora, you praised how you liked the mix between
>automated configuration and hard configuration, but all along since I can
>remember, you were not happy with mandrake, because you claimed you didn't
>like their configuration tools and was tired of having to do configuration by
>hand and wanted more or better configuration tools.

I never complained too much about Mandrake although I did probably
mention some displeasure with a few of their tools that could have used
some work. Lycoris was the only distribution I really didn't like the
tools on because it was so lacking that it would require manual
configuration but at the same time it would mangle the files.

>Somewhere along the line you chose to give Slackware a try. After a matter of
>an hour or so you wrote to the list praising some things about slack.

Some things, but I didn't say I was definately gonig to stick with it.
Early impressions are generally fairly good unless the product in
question is really bad.

>It wasn't within a day or so, you then started praising mandrake again, after
>you had made mandrake sound like it was the worst distro you'd ever seen, and
>hinted to the list you were going to go back to either Mandrake or SuSE IIRC.

I never said anything about Mandake that wasn't true, Mandrake 9.2 had
terrible bugs, 10.0 was much better but choked right near the end. I was
going to try the official release but it wasn't out yet so in the mean
time I was going to try Fedora Core and Slackware.

>Then someone on the list made an attempt to get you to hold off going back to
>SuSE or Mandrake because they had some things that might help you out with
>Slack. (another attempt to help you) Which I don't know at the moment whether
>you have held off or not but your journal entry was completly the opposite.

I did hold off, I mentioned in the list that I was most likely going to
keep Slackware until Mandrake 10.0 official was released publically.

>My question is, How could you say those things? I have done nothing but try to
>be a brother to you and of as much help as I could in an effort to help you
>get an almost "ideal" install of linux, but I can't help you, nor can anyone
>else help you if you install a different distro every other day.

What things were you referring to? I wasn't only talking about CS-FSLUG
in that blog posting I was also and especially talking about what
happened to me in some IRC channels like #linuxorbit, #suse and
#mandrake on irc.freenode.net.

>It's not getting you nowhere at all and that is something the list has been
>trying to tell you for a very long time, and yes there has been times some
>harsh words have been used because you were contradicting youself too much,
>but Nathan, sometimes it takes a harsh word to get somebody to realize
>something, but in *NO* way has anyone on this list tried to hurt you, so
>*PLEASE* understand that.
>
>David M.

I don't know how many people are in the CS-FSLUG list but my
contradicting myself is moreso an issue of peoples different
interepretations of what I've said. I don't remember contradicting
myself except for when I was posting first impressions of a distribution
and then following up on it if I found something worth mentioning. Who
doesn't find that their first impression of a distribution doesn't
change after using it for a while?