[CS-FSLUG] Distro commentary

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 22 21:46:59 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 07:34:50PM -0600, N. Thompson wrote:
> That a very pessimistic opinion. I'm tired of being told to stick with
> one distro or <insert excuse here>.
> Whats the point of having distributions if you're not going to try more
> then one, why should I have to settle for the first distro I try because
> of its fancy name, logo, propaganda or reputation. Isn't the point of
> diversity to provide options.

No, it isn't a pessimistic opinion, it is a fact.  You said that you
have wasted too much time trying to configure Slackware.  I was pointing
out that you have spent more time in the install process in the past 6
months than most of us in our lifetimes.  Sure, try more than one, but
when you find one that is mostly what you are looking for stick with it!
You can make any distro look exactly like any other distro.  A friend of
mine used to use Red Hat a long time ago but he stripped it down to a
bare bones setup with no mention of RH anywhere and no RH customizing
tools.  My point is, you can make any distro be anything, it just takes
time.

> I'm trying different distributions because I want to find the right one
> for me, I'm tired of hearing all the pessimists in the list tell me to
> pick one and stick with it, just because you've found that to be you're
> best option doesn't mean it will be mine. I'm surprised and even angry
> that no one in the list can relate to that, there are well over a
> hundred distributions out there each one different from the last in some
> way and each one appealing to a different audience. Telling me to stick
> with slackware or Fedora would be just like telling a slackware user
> that he or she can only use Lindows and would have to stick with it
> thinking happy thoughts until it magically started working the way
> they've always wanted their ideal distro to. I think its time for some
> of you people to take a look at reality for what it is, this isn't just
> some dream where given time everything will become perfect, if you want
> something really good then you have to look for it, I won't just give up
> and settle on something thats second rate nor will I deny that there's
> the possibility of a distro out there that suits me.

I'm not going to feed the flames here, but I'll just say this, I am not
advocating one distro over another.  I could care less if you went with
Lindows over Yggrdsrl or whatever that used to be.  Unless you plan on
making a career doing distro reviews like Tim you are using up a lot of
your valuable time that you yourself said you would rather use for
programming.  Here is a fun idea, pick out 6 distros that you either
have tried and liked or would like to try.  Give each one a number, 1
through 6.  Roll and die and whatever comes up install it and use it.
Use linux, not the distro.

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7