[CS-FSLUG] article on current mission network news

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Tue Apr 20 02:33:06 CDT 2004

Quoting "N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net>:

> Fedora core is close enough to RH and its free, there is also whitebox
> or whatever that one was called that was just a rebranded RHEL available
> for free.

Fedora is RH for the individual, but AFAIK RH has stated that it's not planning
to ensure an upgrade path between releases, and the support lifetime of the
product is rather short.

Well, as the other project is basically rebuilding Red Hat's source RPMs (which
by the GPL RedHat doesn't have to provide to them), they'll always be slightly
behind the times (a bad thing if a bug is spreading).

I can't say I like Redhat's RHEL license... in certain areas it borders
dangerously close on a GPL violation.  It does impose additional limitations on
the purchaser of the software.

David