[CS-FSLUG] SLAX 4.1.1

Jerry Van Brimmer jerryvb at ispwest.com
Tue Apr 20 01:44:38 CDT 2004

N. Thompson wrote:

> I just finished trying SLAX and it was real nice, running off the CD
> it was still faster the FC1, I thought about installing it to my hard
> drive but the site recommended against that so I might try installing
> slackware again.
>
> Before installing slackware I have an important question, how do I
> update it and if that requires packages where do I find those packages?
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> N. Thompson wrote:
>
>> My curiosity into whether there is an ideal customizable distribution
>> out there has brought me to Slackware, but not wanting to install it
>> withoug giving it a try I've decided to download SLAX which was just
>> recently released. I'm hoping to find SLAX nice and if it isn't then
>> all I have to do is wipe the CD-RW I burn it on.
>>
>> On another note I've just learned a new term from the people in
>> #fedora at irc.freenode.net, the word was "installaholic" which
>> reminded me of that list I was keeping of all the distribution I've
>> tried. Maybe when I'm done with SLAX I should post that list :-) .

That's how I got into Slackware. I tried a slackware-live-cd back before
it was called SLAX. I loved it, ordered Slackware 9.1 CDs from
http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/index.php, installed it on my
machine and have been very satisfied with it ever since. Slackware is
solid, fast, and easy to maintain once you learn the Slackware way of
doing things. Don't expect pretty GUI things, just simple, solid and
reliable.

Jerry VB