[CS-FSLUG] Fedora core 1

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 19 21:33:18 CDT 2004

Brian Derr wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 02:54:44PM -0600, N. Thompson wrote:
>[...]
>

>>I've been considering going for a distribution that will leave package
>>management all up to me although if Slackware's PKGtool isn't too much
>>trouble I might try Slack.
>>

>The pkgtool that comes with Slackware is simple and efficient.  No
>dependency checking, which I love, and straight forward.  installpkg to
>install, removepkg to remove, upgradepkg to upgrade, how easy is that?
>Then of course there are the tools for making your own packages and
>inspecting packages:  explodepkg to see what is in the package, makepkg
>to make a package.  Easy as pie.
>

>>Right now I would like to find a light distro that comes with the
>>essentials and from there I wand to build it up...
>>

>CRUX.  (http://crux.nu/)  If you have an i686 processor which post
>people do these days then give it a try.  Very simple distro that has a
>one CD install of ~300 megs.  Installs a bare minimum of useful packages
>and has a large collection of user contributed ports much like the BSD
>system.  With the `prt-get' tool installing new software and upgrading
>existing software is a snap.  `prt-get upgrade sendmail', done.
>`prt-get depinst xine' will install the dependencies for xine first then
>xine.  I am imagining there is a dependency for xine (xine-lib) but I'm
>not sure since I'm not in CRUX right now.
>
>Give it a try, I think you'll like it if you really want to try out a
>light-weight, source based distro that is i686 optimized.
>
>Brian

Thanks for the introductions Brian :-)

Crux sounds fairly good from what you're describing but I've got a few
questions before making any decisions.

If slackware's pkgtool doesn't check dependencies then how do you know
whether a package will work and how do you know what you will need for a
certain package, also is there a place or way to find slackware package
or does pkgtool just install source packages?

Do slackware and Crux come with NTFS support?

What would be involved in updating the kernel's in either distribution?

is prt-get a port of apt-get, how is it configured?

is there a way for prt-get to automatically find and after prompting,
remove unrequired libraries and other dependencies?

As always, thanks for the information :-)