[CS-FSLUG] Fedora core 1

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 19 20:37:42 CDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 02:54:44PM -0600, N. Thompson wrote:
[...]
> I've been considering going for a distribution that will leave package
> management all up to me although if Slackware's PKGtool isn't too much
> trouble I might try Slack.

The pkgtool that comes with Slackware is simple and efficient.  No
dependency checking, which I love, and straight forward.  installpkg to
install, removepkg to remove, upgradepkg to upgrade, how easy is that?
Then of course there are the tools for making your own packages and
inspecting packages:  explodepkg to see what is in the package, makepkg
to make a package.  Easy as pie.

> Right now I would like to find a light distro that comes with the
> essentials and from there I wand to build it up...

CRUX.  (http://crux.nu/)  If you have an i686 processor which post
people do these days then give it a try.  Very simple distro that has a
one CD install of ~300 megs.  Installs a bare minimum of useful packages
and has a large collection of user contributed ports much like the BSD
system.  With the `prt-get' tool installing new software and upgrading
existing software is a snap.  `prt-get upgrade sendmail', done.
`prt-get depinst xine' will install the dependencies for xine first then
xine.  I am imagining there is a dependency for xine (xine-lib) but I'm
not sure since I'm not in CRUX right now.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it if you really want to try out a
light-weight, source based distro that is i686 optimized.

Brian

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7