[CS-FSLUG] article on current mission news

monfieth monfieth at rushmore.com
Mon Apr 19 10:19:29 CDT 2004

Dear Brin, Our organization will be going over to Linux  eventualy. The
first step was to install Abiword, Opera, Mozilla, and Open Office, in
some sort of combination on all machines to get rid of license cost
problems, plus they can operate on windows or Linux. Next step is to
install, Linux software on Compaq servers we have been given.  Samba
will aleviate any possable need for communication between any needed ms
 type programs.  The office stuff, mailing lists, all that can go on
Linux.  Currently the organizational accounting, tax stuff, pay
packets, will have to stay ms, till replacements can be found.  The
school may go over to the Debian diskless project, or tight permissions
as some of the students are trashing the machines trying to get past
the internet filtering software .  Pre insalling Linux with one desktop
and no uneeded software will lighten the load and is no more difficult
than windoze.  Not crashing will end the field reinstalls and make
things generaly easier.
Blessings
Lee Dambrosky
Weslyan Native American Ministries