[CS-FSLUG] Transitions

N.Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Apr 7 21:10:07 CDT 2004

I'm getting annoyed at how people are just jumping to conclusions, you all
sound like you're saying I'm trying to bully the school into switching.

Now what is really happening is the school is going to be upgrading all the
computer soon, they are going to try and get the contract with the best money
to quality ratio and as I understood it they are getting a new sysadming.
This means they are likely to run into sysadmins  that are going to be using
Linux instead of Windows.

What I did was show my computer science teacher screenshots of Linux and OSS
software, I also brought him a copy of TheOpenCD (if I remember correctly)
which has OSS software for Windows and a copy of an OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 CD I
made. I did not present this to the sysadmin but to my computer science
teacher which I'm hoping will have a part in choosing the new contract, I did
not complain about Windows I only tried to show him that OSS software was
just as good if not better then what the school was already using in Windows
so he could make his own educated decision.

I am not hoping that the school rejects all the Windows contracts, I'm simply
trying to make sure they make an educated decision.

I should also mention that if the school were to stick with Microsoft products
then should the day come when the school switches to Microsoft office 2010
and its full of DRM garbage to reinforce the vendor lock in tactics all the
kids in the school will be forced to be running Windows with Microsoft Office
2010 and the price of it will be astronomical.