[CS-FSLUG] Transitions (was: Wacky thought - Linux consulting)

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Wed Apr 7 08:51:19 CDT 2004

A few comments...

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 22:21, N.Thompson wrote:
> I'd love it if someone could convince my school to:

"Convince" seems adversarial.  Why not help teach them more about
different platforms so they can learn more in their field (IT)?  And
make sure to teach in a non-condescending manner.

> - Replace Windows NT 4.0 with Linux

If it works, why fix it?  We still use some NT4 boxes here.  They are
still running well.  Obviously we haven't felt the need to change up to
the latest & "greatest" as it does the job.  If the time comes when they
need to replace hardware with something that doesn't have NT4 drivers,
then would be the time to make the decision to change.  Why change just
for the sake of change?

> - Get rid of that old VB6 and use python or C++

See above.  If they already have licenses and it works - why change?
Maybe if someone can help them see the advantage of not being tied to
any one platform they can start to migrate by writing new apps in
another language, but change just to change?  Most IT people have WAY
TOO MUCH to do to add changing something that already is working.

> - Get rid of their Java courses or replace it with Sun's Java 1.4 and not
> Microsloths Java

See above.  Java is a step in the right direction (platform
independence).  Some one needs to help them see the paradox of using a
version of something designed for platform independence modified to only
work with one platform.  (Key words:  "help them see" not "berate them
into seeing")

> - Replace that old copy of Word 97 with OpenOffice.org, KWord or Abiword

See above.  Why change what works?  We still use Office 97 from a big
donation we received years ago.  It is still basically interchangeable
with OpenOffice.  (Our problem with any transition is the Access
databases that people have created and use.  Without that any transition
would be much easier.)  If anything one needs to concentrate on removing
the dependency by migrating any Access databases first.

> Did you know they were talking about getting new computers with Windows XP,
> turns out they just got more old computers with Windows NT 4.0 again. If they
> were to switch to Linux they could upgrade to new computers and actally
> afford it but the schools IT guy apparently thinks that Windows is better for
> the task.

The time for thinking about migration is when new equipment comes in to
the organization, but as stated above, if NT is working for now, so be
it.  There is also the problem that the IT job grows larger when there
is more than one platform to support.  If he is comfortable supporting
NT, then that also enters into the decision.  He is probably already
overworked (most IT people are) and it wouldn't help the problem having
to support two platforms rather than one.

> I've never been fond of pro-microsoft IT people, somehow they think an MSCE
> degree makes them experts without actually having to know how things works
> outside of the Windows GUI, and the folks at C-net who are "IT experts" waste
> their lives writing promotional articles about the latest spyware infested
> "freeware" app for Windoze.

It sounds from these last two paragraphs that you are already in an
antagonistic relationship with these people, and that NEVER... I repeat:
NEVER helps.  Rather than sitting back and berating the guy (BTW, does
that show the love of Christ?) why don't you volunteer to help him out
with his work.  In the process you can learn more about WinNT and his
concerns and maybe have a chance to widen his horizons in teaching him
some about Linux and Open Source.  In the process you might gain a
friend rather than someone who starts to hate to see you if you are
always berating what he does.

sjm