[CS-FSLUG] Wacky thought - Linux consulting

N.Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 6 22:21:03 CDT 2004

I'd love it if someone could convince my school to:
- Replace Windows NT 4.0 with Linux
- Get rid of that old VB6 and use python or C++
- Get rid of their Java courses or replace it with Sun's Java 1.4 and not
Microsloths Java
- Replace that old copy of Word 97 with OpenOffice.org, KWord or Abiword

Did you know they were talking about getting new computers with Windows XP,
turns out they just got more old computers with Windows NT 4.0 again. If they
were to switch to Linux they could upgrade to new computers and actally
afford it but the schools IT guy apparently thinks that Windows is better for
the task.

I've never been fond of pro-microsoft IT people, somehow they think an MSCE
degree makes them experts without actually having to know how things works
outside of the Windows GUI, and the folks at C-net who are "IT experts" waste
their lives writing promotional articles about the latest spyware infested
"freeware" app for Windoze.