[CS-FSLUG] Firewall Roundtable

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Tue Apr 6 09:58:02 CDT 2004

>I'm using Coyote Linux:
>http://www.coyotelinux.com/products.php?Product=coyote
>it's a floppy distro running on an old P166 -- no hard drive etc.
>but with obviously 2 NIC's -- one to the modem and the other to a hub
>and from there to the rest of our small home network.
>Piece of cake to set up and no way someone can modify the files on
>the floppy (locked of course). It runs in ram so there's no file
>system to trash in the event of an unexpected power outage.
>
>Works great for me.........

I'd go with something like that, but the place where my connection
comes into the house leaves my equipment under the couch in order to
be aesthetically pleasing. I then send it into a wireless router which
my computer upstairs picks up. I'm leaving the wireless connection
wide open for anyone that wants to come check it out and grab some
bandwidth that I'm not using.

That means that I only need to protect my desktop/notebook and let
people on the wireless that I'm aware of know that they need to
protect themselves when they are on it.

In other words, I'd go for that, except I don't want a computer under
the couch humming and overheating. Besides, that would leave me open
on the wireless network. :-)

JSR/