[Foss-cafe] big storm in the cybersphere?

Steven Hatfield steven at knightswood.net
Fri Mar 26 18:35:16 CST 2004

I am a software developer for an insurance company.  Everyone at work
in the IT department knows that I'm a GNU/Linux fan.  GNU/Linux is
perfect for a server solution -- (relatively) easy to set up and rock
solid once it gets set up.   Unfortunately, I work for a Windows shop,
and it will likely remain that way.  At least until my manager gets
tired of dealing with what I'm writing about in this email.

Last week we had a Windows 2000 Server that was going nuts -- 100% CPU
load on random tasks -- it had completely lost its mind (if there is
such a thing).  So one of the other developers reinstalled the OS from
scratch, which took about a day to get set back up.

I came in this morning and the main info sec guy informed us that the
server we had just installed was already hosed.  Explorer.exe had
somehow gotten infected with a trojan, and Symantec A/V couldn't fix it
-- just quarantine it.  Time to reinstall again!

What kills me is that every time something goes crazy in our software
development efforts (Visual Studio's many bugs can certainly be
challenging), one of the other developers always teases and says "I bet
if it was Linux (pronouncing it "L-EYE-NICKS") it wouldn't be doing
such-n-such!" -- with me knowing full well that he's just kidding
around.

So what do I do when I'm standing there talking with this same
developer about his soon-to-be-8-hours-of-wasted-time reinstalling this
server?  I want to say "I bet if it was Linux (pronounced properly,
sprinkled with the appropriate amount of love and affection), you
wouldn't be spending another day installing this server!" -- but no...
instead I bite my tongue because I'm better than that.  And he already
knows it.

Here's the best part.  This developer (who is actually really cool,
despite a complete lack of knowledge of the really cool stuff that is
happening in the world of computers) and I attended a conference call
with a developer from a 3rd party development house, to discuss some
implementation details of some project we're working on.  Near the end
of the call, the VP of our office asks the 3rd party developer "So
where do you see this project that you are working on going in the
future?".  And their response?  "We're checking out Linux and
OpenOffice -- we believe that they will be very very big within the
next couple of years!"  My manager immediately looked up at me and we
exchanged a knowing glance.  He knows it's coming, and I think he's
glad that I am there to help them prepare for it.

How's that for a "big storm in the cybersphere"?

-Steven