[CS-FSLUG] Plain Text

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:59:49 CDT 2014

On 10/31/2014 07:00 AM, Georges Rodier wrote:
> On the other hand, since moving to Thunderbird I find writing in
> plain monospaced text not so easy.

I use Thunderbird and there are two ways to write plain text only.

One is to go into the "Account Settings" -> "Composition & Addressing"
for the account you use and uncheck the "Compose messages in HTML
format".  Then you will only write plain text with that account.

The other is more tedious but does allow you the option to write HTML
messages.  In this option, you leave the "Compose messages in HTML
format" checked, but for any message you write that you want only plain
text, you have to open the "Options" menu when you are writing the
messages and choose "Options" -> "Delivery Format" -> "Plain Text Only".
  That will only send plain text.

I prefer the first for this account which I use mainly for mailing
lists.  For my main email account, I use the second as when I need to
forward or reply to some HTML only messages, the first option messes up
the original message too much, so have to use HTML some of the time.

I guess you realize that you might be getting old when you pine for the
days when there was only plain text in email.

sjm