[CS-FSLUG] OT: Online Bank

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Mar 24 20:41:10 CDT 2013

On 03/24/2013 02:58 PM, Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hello friends,
> I'm thinking about ditching my traditional bank for a variety of reasons. I had signed up for access to Simple (formerly BankSimple) last year and received an invite not too long ago. I've joined, but there are a few issues that make it less useful than I hoped:
>
> 	1.) There is no way to initiate electronic funds transfers from within Simple after initially funding the account.
>
> 	2.) It cannot be linked with a business PayPal account, unlike my current personal checking account.
>
> 	3.) Some other things I already knew: it can't do paper checks, it doesn't offer savings accounts, it has a relatively limited ATM network, you can't deposit via an ATM, etc.
>
> So, I'm thinking about trying Ally or EverBank. But, I don't really want to open up a bunch of bank accounts just for grins. However, they would solve several of the above issues. Both Ally and EverBank support initiating ACH fund transfers from within their interface, both have savings accounts with some interest, meager as it is, have larger ATM networks by way of reimbursing fees incurred at any ATM, and in general have more features.
>
> I think Ally looks a bit better designed, but EverBank offers business accounts, which would allow me to move everything to one bank. I like that idea.
>
> Has anyone tried either Ally or EverBank?

Tim, from a security and who has control perspective, you're ALWAYS
better off dealing with a local bank, and keep ALL transactions OFF the
Net. Call me old fashioned or any other name you want, but I want to do
the best I can to secure my funds and who controls them! I don't like
dealing with an entity that I don't know, nor having anything of mine
"in the cloud"! ANY business who as it's private info. or access to
funds there is NUTS!!

'My 2 cents....have at it!

Fred

--
"... nothing -- no new legislation, no waiting period, gun or magazine ban --
could have prevented the Connecticut "glory killer" from carrying out his attack."