[CS-FSLUG] Precise crashing

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 07:44:59 CST 2013

Technicalities here, I guess to keep on topic.  More important prayer
request at the end.

my Ubuntu 12.04 is crashing systematically. Inspiron 1501, all updates
up to Jan 20

Typically it boots (it doesn't let me select Linux version anymore)
runs a few seconds, then goes into console and spews out a couple
hundred lines, getting stuck at

[ 155.197602 ] CR2: ffffffffffff

The 155 number is the same all over in the last screen when it freezes
- no idea what is above

Right before leaving the US (I am now in Bolivia) I got memory up to 2
GB, ran all updates, went to Linux .36 - then it would not boot, so I
was selecting manually during GRUB boot among older versions the .35.
A few days ago I seem to have managed to unnistall the .36, so it was
booting "normally", I guess to .35. Nowadays it doesn't let me get to
the GRUB selection.

I had started trying to fix the Broadcom internal wifi that had never
worked, did a sudo install of "something" (from official
repositories), that was the last it worked normally. Interestingly my
terminal kept no memory (when I open Terminal and do arrow up) of
whatever I did, so I do not remember. Is there a log somewhere of
recent installs?

Just in case I suspected the (used) newly added memory, ran all the
Dell internal tests, that was not it.
Fan is bad, I know that - could it be overheating?

BTW, I am in Bolivia as Mom is very, very sick. Carcinoma en cuirasse
is the current diagnostic. Deb is arriving in a week. Mom has a very
special relationship with the Boss Above, so healing beyond anything
that medical can understand would not surprise me. As is, I pray at
least for less pain. Dad had horrid last few weeks, Mom's pain levels
looks even worse, and she is still strong. Deb and I intend to stay
until May. One important factor in us getting together was to do
missions. So far we had, maybe, planned too much, and nothing ever
gelled despite much effort. I am making a point to come without a
plan, this time. Maybe the Lord will see it fit to make me notice what
HE has planned. My plan, if any, is to stay with Mom as long as
needed, Deb really has to go back in May (she's the primary
breadwinner).
Please do pray for mom, for healing, for a sweet going Home when she
is called. Also pray for my sister, who has been doing most of the
wound care as I don't seem to get my act together, oh well, do pray
for me as well if any energy left. Thank you