[CS-FSLUG] An odd Linux occurrence

dcolburn at bibleseven.com dcolburn at bibleseven.com
Fri Feb 1 21:48:26 CST 2013

Tim,

     Sounds possible something may be reporting bad numbers rather than the
space actually being used.

     OTOH ... does that patching process make temporary backups and/or
extract then run, delete the saved compressed patch file, replace old file
(temporarily saved) as it goes?

    Updates, if well-written, save stuff in case the update is interrupted.

Just guesses ...

David

> Ok. I am a little puzzled.
 >
 > My home Linux server (CentOS release 6.3 (Final)) recently ran out of
 > disk space. I should have a lot of room on my 2TB RAID drive, but it
 > was 100% full. So I wandered around my system, cleaning off old
 > backups and stuff. I cleaned out 10GB, hoping that would get me
 > through this next week. I went off to do some other things and came
 > back because I forgot if I had 11GB or 10GB free. Nope. 100% full
 > (well, 200MB free, but when I looked again, it was 160MB and counting
 > the wrong way). I did a number of diagnostics, freed up another 20GB
 > of not-so-available backups, and then watched as that 20GB was slowly
 > and methodically eaten.
 >
 > The odd thing was that I could do a du /* and those numbers were not
 > changing. I dumped those numbers in files and then used diff to check
 > to tell me what what dirs were changing in size to eat up GBs of
 > space.
 >
 > Turns out the only dir that was changing in size was the dir I was
 > storing my temp files in. And the change in size was measured in K.
 > I would expect that, since I was making these tiny text files with
 > space usage info in them.
 >
 > I did an lsof and did not see anything interesting.
 >
 > So, finally, I thought I would reboot.
 >
 > After it came back up, it is reporting 1.2TB free, which is about
 > what I would expect with the amount of data I have.
 >
 > Anyone see anything like this before?
 >
 > I do have some extra odd services running, and it could be one of
 > those. Also, I am running a yum update since there are a number of
 > patches to install. Just wondering if I am special, crazy, or just
 > lucky.
 >
 > - Tim Young

Draw nearer to the Lord and He will bless you,

David M. Colburn, DMin. MaCo
Personal Site: bibleseven.com

Bible Study Resource: bible.org

I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com

1 Cor. 15:22 "For just as in Adam all die, so also in
Christ all will be made alive."(NET)