[CS-FSLUG] OT: Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:06:26 CST 2012

On 01/20/2012 09:25 AM, Cia Watson wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:17:43 +0100
> Jon Glass<jonglass at usa.net>  wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Fred A. Miller<fmiller at lightlink.com>
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apples-mind-bogglingly-greedy-and-evil-license-agreement/4360?tag=nl.e589
>>
>> Wow. Let me see if I understand this. Apple provides a free tool,
>> designed exclusively for creating content for their iBooks store, and
>> people are complaining that this free software, designed exclusively
>> for this purpose has restrictions that won't let you use it for any
>> other purpose?
>
> Essentially what it means, is that if you publish something for use on an
> Apple device, if you charge anything for it (such as an e-book) you can't also
> publish it for use on another device. It takes proprietary to a whole new
> level. In the event that I create such an ebook, I now know that I don't need
> to bother to try and make it available for sale through the istore.

If I read it correctly, it says that if you charge for the output of the
IBookAuthor program, it has to be sold through the Apple channels.  It
doesn't say that you can't take the same content (input to IBookAuthor)
and produce a different ebook for a different outlet channel with a
different program.