[CS-FSLUG] OT: Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Fri Jan 20 10:25:05 CST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:17:43 +0100
Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com>
> wrote:
> > http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apples-mind-bogglingly-greedy-and-evil-license-agreement/4360?tag=nl.e589
>
> Wow. Let me see if I understand this. Apple provides a free tool,
> designed exclusively for creating content for their iBooks store, and
> people are complaining that this free software, designed exclusively
> for this purpose has restrictions that won't let you use it for any
> other purpose?

Essentially what it means, is that if you publish something for use on an
Apple device, if you charge anything for it (such as an e-book) you can't also
publish it for use on another device. It takes proprietary to a whole new
level. In the event that I create such an ebook, I now know that I don't need
to bother to try and make it available for sale through the istore.

Thanks for sharing the link, Fred.

Cia W.