[CS-FSLUG] Response to a Libre Software Skeptic

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun Jan 15 15:46:01 CST 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Don Parris wrote:

>> The system is broken but the concept is necessary.
>>
> Just to be clear, I recognize that both, copyrights and patents, were
> designed to protect *authors* and *designers*, not publishers and
> manufacturers. I also recognize that both actually were (originally)
> designed to encourage commerce by providing a *limited* monopoly and
> are thus good things. I nevertheless oppose software patents in any
> case. I also oppose the extended length of copyrights under which we
> currently live. Lessig pointed out in Free Culture that there was
> always a balance to our copyright and patent laws until recently.

Key statement: "I nevertheless oppose software patents in any case."

Something to consider: The fundamental difference between meat space and
virtual space is too often ignored by those who defend the current
system. When you put anything into a digital format, there simply is no
way to protect it for long.

I can limit access to physical goods, but I cannot limit access to
ideas. All the more so in a digital universe. Until we make our
discussions include this fundamental fact, there really is no common
ground on which to discuss anything. I would suggest to ignore this
difference is simply a cases of intellectual dishonesty. This is the key
injustice in the current attempts, and they will eventually fail.

That would be at about the same time Western Civilization itself comes
apart, and for many of the same reasons. I am utterly convinced this is
God's hand at work, and pretty sure it has already begun. In other
words, God Himself does not support the current regime of IP and patent
law, that the concept itself is broken, not merely the system.

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/
Kiln of the Soul - http://soulkiln.org/