[CS-FSLUG] Response to a Libre Software Skeptic

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:16:39 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 13:27, dcolburn at bibleseven.com <
dcolburn at bibleseven.com> wrote:

>  Marco Tedaldi wrote: Am 15.01.2012 00:34, schrieb
>>
>>  dcolburn at bibleseven.com:Patents are designed to protect the ideas of
>> the little guy from the theft
>>
> of the big guy.
>
> The system is broken but the concept is necessary.

Just to be clear, I recognize that both, copyrights and patents, were
designed to protect *authors* and *designers*, not publishers and
manufacturers.  I also recognize that both actually were (originally)
designed to encourage commerce by providing a *limited* monopoly and are
thus good things.  I nevertheless oppose software patents in any case.  I
also oppose the extended length of copyrights under which we currently
live.  Lessig pointed out in Free Culture that there was always a balance
to our copyright and patent laws until recently.

>From my point of view, the best course is to use the libre alternatives
where they exist.  I do not share Stallman's point of view that it is "ok"
to violate copyright law in order to share, but I would also not object to
such as a last resort.  That said, I think it is mostly, if not entirely,
unnecessary to violate copyright law to help our neighbors these days.  In
other words, I would seek the perfectly legal solution unless there were no
other solution.

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, LEED AP O+M, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate