[CS-FSLUG] [Linux4christians] Response to a Libre Software Skeptic

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 14:05:05 CST 2012

Am 14.01.2012 18:15, schrieb Jon Glass:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Marco Tedaldi<marco.tedaldi at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> But that changes nothing that the whole IP-stuff (copyright and patent)
>> is fundamentally wrong.
>> Paying for goods and services is ok. But ideas have to be free. You
>> can't "own" an idea (if it is a song or an invention). So there can't be
>> property rights on ideas anyway.
>
> Sorry if I sound confused, but can I ask a question to help clarify
> something. It seems to me, that in principle, (not taking the current
> laws into account) you do not see anything wrong with plagiarism? I.e.
> it would be perfectly fine to portray someone else's work as you own?
> Since there can be no ownership on ideas, then the formulation of
> those ideas either graphically or with words are also intellectual
> property, which, in theory do not exist? so plagiarism is ok?

Nope. It is not ok to lie. So it would not be ok, to portray someone
elses work as your own.... So for me personally, plagiarism is out of
question! And I consider it wrong doing by anone.
I'm a bit torn apart about givin credit. I for one think it is only fair
to give credit to the original creator.
But forcing others to give credit to you? Why do we want to get credit
for our ideas? I know, I don't like it, when others use my photos
without giving credit. But I do have to ask myself:"why does it hurt
me?"... And the answer is quite obvious... "pride"...

So most of the cc-licenses are basically about the pride of the creator
of the original content... I've been a big fan of cc licenses just until
now. Now I will have to think this whole stuff over.

blessings

Marco