[CS-FSLUG] OpenDNS - Anti-Censorship (by governments) Policy

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 23:00:29 CST 2012

> 2006. OpenDNS will not allow governments or ISPs to use our services to
> dictate which websites are accessible at a national or regional level.
> No government or ISP will ever use OpenDNS to engage in mass Internet
> censorship for its people.

Interesting since their primary purpose is in itself a form of censorship.

sjm

P.S. I've almost given up on them, though.  I think they take their
censorship role too strictly many times and are not willing to change.

Two examples that come to mind are:
  - they categorize all of cnet's download site as adware/spyware.
  - They categorize all of the Sports Illustrated site as bikini/lingerie.

Others and I have tried to get them to change, but they're "sticking to
their guns".

If they consistently applied their logic that seems to be in place
above, they would have no problem blocking whole sites or parts of the
Internet for some small parts that might infringe on copyrights or the
like.  Basically just like SOPA, PIPA, or the international equivalent
that is being debated right now.