[CS-FSLUG] Doing Libre Goodstuff editing

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Wed Feb 15 16:11:41 CST 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Yamaplos . wrote:

> I'm back from a very, very exciting weekend & retreat, where I spent
> 20 hours almost straight writing and writing and more writing. I
> haven't stopped since, though out of job and physical needs I'm
> reduced to just a few pages per day now.

Even with normal knowledge, that Eureka moment, which can last days, can
affect people just this way. Some folks write; some build or create more
tangible things; others produce other forms of art. When the Eureka
moment sweeps across our spiritual commitment, it's all the more moving,
because it touches eternity itself.

> Here's the rub:  I have the reasonable conviction of heart that
> there's God stuff there. Yet I am VERY concerned I might be getting
> myself get carried away by my prejudices, weird way to see Things,
> etc., and wasting my time and so on. I need some Libre/Community
> help to deal with this.

There's nothing wrong with bouncing ideas off others. However, any fresh
experience of God will inevitably contain a good bit of something unique
to you. It will inevitably include some things which seem right for
now, but later seem silly because we move beyond to a better
understanding of things. Some of the most critical and useless review
comes from Christians, as do some of the best things people can do to
help. You'll have to decide what kind of reaction you can accept, how
strongly you can ignore something unhelpful, and if at least some of the
audience is likely to accept where you feel led by this spiritual
discovery.

I believe at least some on this list are mature enough to let you go
where you feel led, yet ask pointed questions of things which don't seem
quite mainstream.

> The original from the weekend is handwritten in 3+ notebooks, yet it's
> just *flowing* that when I get to a keyboard I am putting in new
> material.

I'm going to suggest you wait until you have a chance to let this thing
slow down. When you think you have come to a stopping point, put it
aside and do something else. Then come back later and reread, edit it
yourself.

As for the simple editing of grammar, I'm hardly the only one here
competent to do that, but I'll be glad to help. At a minimum, almost
every day of the year, I write at least one article twice the length of
your original post. Often I write two or three of them, and think about
others I might write. Each one absorbs me easily more than an hour.

Welcome to the club.

Ed Hurst
--------
Open for Business - http://ofb.biz/