[CS-FSLUG] Internationalization Question - USA/South America

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Mon Feb 13 13:07:18 CST 2012

I'm working with that for some of my co-workers here in MExico.  Ubuntu
and most of it's progeny have a simple way to make the major changes from
English to Spanish.

The best way would have been to install it in Spanish to begin with but be
sure that you choose the appropriate hardware for the computer that it
will be used on - especially the keyboard.  Most in Mexico use the latin
American keyboard, but there are a lot of USA.

Lot's of the changes can be made by just searching synaptic for
"spanish"and/or "es", and then deciding on Which packages you will need.

Gimp, Openoffice, and several other programs may need special attention to
get them to show up in Spanish. The keyboard is not likely to be much of a
problem either way, because there is an easy way <menu . control center.
keyboard. layouts> to change it.

I haven't got it all worked out. being uable to connect to internet here
in the part of Mexico where we live (Except by going to a cyber cafe)
makes it a little more complicated - especialy when some of the co-workers
I mention have no internet at their places.

Dave MC