[CS-FSLUG] Internationalization Question - USA/South America

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 21:29:05 CST 2012

On 02/12/2012 08:24 PM, Don Parris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wife bought her son a laptop here, and I set it up with Kubuntu 11.10,
> before shipping it down to him in Peru.  It just occurred to me that I set
> it up more for using in the US than in Peru.   I setup the standard US
> English setup - and setup an alternate keyboard layout to use (US Intl
> w/dead keys).  He can switch between US English and Spanish as necessary.
> That part is great.
>
> My question, though, is this: if he uses the KDE Locale utility in System
> Settings to change his country to Peru, will this override the default
> keyboard layout?  After all, he will be using a US keyboard, but needs all
> the locale settings for Peru, such as numbers and money.  The laptop only
> has US English installed as a language.  I did not install
> Spanish/Castilian as a language - not sure exactly what effect that will
> have.
>
> Does anyone install two or more languages on their computer?

It depends on what you really want.  I have a somewhat hybrid system.  I
only install English language, but I install the LatAm keyboard in
addition to the USA keyboard to help me get the extra characters like ñ.

I usually also install the Spanish spell checkers along with the en-US.

I usually don't mess with the locale stuff with that mostly affecting
the displays of the date, time, thousands separator and such.  I usually
want the menus and such to also display in English.

Does that help?

sjm