[CS-FSLUG] Virtual Machines

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Dec 18 21:43:38 CST 2012

On 12/18/2012 07:53 PM, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Been playing with virtual machines the past few days. Anybody done
> much with them?
>
> Someone gave me Win7 Pro machine; needed only a new hard drive. Got it
> back to life and I'm enjoying it as the primary means to my book
> writing. It had no office ware on it, so I've had to make the most of
> it while saving up. I like the grammar checkers. So I got my hands on
> a discarded MS Word 2000 and it runs quite well on Win7. Still, I like
> to balance that with WordPerfect and Grammatik.
>
> All I could get was 6.1 for Windows, which works okay in MS's XP Mode.
> However, MS Virtual PC is utterly useless for anything else. It's
> cranky and only a narrow selection of older distros work at all. They
> all work poorly, at that, so far as I can see.
>
> VMware Player allowed me to run Win98 (thinking mostly about older
> Win/DOS stuff), but their integration is missing some critical stuff
> on that. Got it working in spite of them. However, installing Ubuntu
> 8.04 was a piece of cake, scripted in advance. Running it is really
> impressive. It's fast and integrated fully with Win7. So I tried my
> copy of WP8 for Linux, but
> had forgotten how bad the fonts were. Almost unusable.
>
> Still, I have a nice way to run Linux when I need it, so long as it's
> not something too power-hungry.

I did setup Virtual Box and installed "7" Ultimate in it. It worked
well, for most things, except writing accurately to blu-ray
burners...some DVD burners as well. No other problems of note. I did it
just as an experiment and to have the experience. ALL OSs and apps. were
64-bit...Linux was openSuSE 12.2.

Fred

--
Liberals! "No one is so generous as he who has your savings
to give." ~ German Proverb