[CS-FSLUG] Building An Experimental LAN

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 11:20:27 CST 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Tim Young <Tim.Young at lightsys.org> wrote:

> Some of the ddwrt and alternative firmware have variations on managed
> switches, but they are definitely "Linux" under the hood, not a regular
> command-line interface.  The ddwrt boxes give you a lot of the same
> functionality (able to set up VLANS, manage remotely, command-line
> interface, snmp, etc.) but do not have the structure of a centralized
> management interface like many of the big name-brands use.  If you do get a
> single 24-port switch, you can actually use "VLANS" to break it into
> multiple switches.  You say the first 8 ports are switch1, the second 8 are
> switch2, the third 8 are switch3...  VLANS separate ports so they do not
> switch between the different VLANS.  So it makes it seem like there are
> different switches.

Ahhhh... that is helpful.  Thanks!

> I think your question about, "Is it more important to know Cisco or
> networking" is probably the key to most of your other questions.  If you
> are trying to land a job in a Cisco environment, having a Cisco checkmark
> of some sort helps.  My personal belief, however, is that it does not
> matter if you are certified in Cisco, Microsoft, or anything.  If you do
> not know the core knowledge, then the certification is not really worth as
> much.  I would rather work side-by-side with someone who has the knowledge
> than someone who has a certification that shows they can study well.  So my
> answer would be, "Learn Networking."  But, if you are doing this to get a
> job, then a certification in Cisco may be better.  If you are doing it on
> your own, then I would go for a knowledge in generic networking.  It is
> cheaper, and I use my generic knowledge much more often than I use my
> specialty knowledge.  But that is me.
>
> I think the question comes down to, "are you thinking about doing this for
> your own edification, or for making yourself more marketable."
>
>  The answer to that last question is a resounding "yes" (to both).

The reality is that I have to complete this associate degree program in
order to be able to teach Linux classes for the local community college
(I've got the Linux+/LPIC-1 certs).  But I am focusing on the networking
aspect for my degree specialization.  Still, I want to ensure my networking
skills are stronger than they are now.  I believe I may have missed 1 or 2
opportunities for not having stronger networking skills (CCNA was a
requirement on one Linux admin position here locally).  To be able to
implement and manage a slightly more complicated LAN than I currently have
would be useful to me in many ways.

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate