[CS-FSLUG] OT: You Can Be A Christian Or A Liberal, But Not Both

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Aug 7 06:29:09 CDT 2012

On 08/07/2012 01:17 AM, sjm wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 06:23 PM, Timothy Butler wrote:
>> I vote conservatively, but I think the same headline could say "You
>> can be a Christian or a Conservative." Both major parties have so
>> many flaws that I think we as Christians should hesitate to include
>> one of them in our "identity."
>
> I scanned the article and wondered something similar.  I wonder what
> the Chinese Christians would say.  I also wonder if the author would
> have said that you can be a Christian or a Roman, but not both and
> what Paul's response would have been.
>
> To paraphrase a Larry Norman lyric, we are not of this world, we're
> only visiting this planet.  We are
> *ambassadors* of our king to this world.

I think the author does make a good point, although the verbiage should
be different, and that is one CAN'T support issues that are contrary to
Scripture, (like abortion and queer relationships as well as marriage),
WITHOUT condoning sin. The same applies to support of any party and/or
ideology when positions are contrary to Scripture. I have talked to a
Chinese Christian who managed to get out of China, and his views are
VERY firm about supporting any party or person who supports anything
contrary to Scripture. From my experience, although limited, AND what
I've read from Christians still in China, Christians are VERY SOLID in
their faith and are rock solid in Scripture. MUCH MORE than Christians
in Europe or the US. The same can be said for Christians in most of
Africa where Muslims want to torture and kill ALL of them.

Fred

--
Apparently, we are supposed to be more angry about what
Mitt Romney does with his money than what Barack Obama