[CS-FSLUG] vcard format? Where can I get simple but thourough info.

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Sat Sep 10 16:35:18 CDT 2011

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 11:52:14 -0500
davidm at hisfeet.net wrote:

> Here's what I need:
> I need to be able to define the number and size of fields (unless size is
> not important in a  more up-to-date database).
>
> And I need to be able to search by any field, or at least by any of several.
>
> I need to be able to transfer information from my old system to a new one.
> (I can save to CSV, or several other formats)
>
> I need to be able to set up several separate databases using the same
> program.

I've set up Kexi database for my contacts, and other small database needs; I
use it with the xfce desktop and it's fine. The problem is that the docs for
it are rather lacking, so I have a ways to go to really figure it out. It
uses the sqlite database engine, but it can also use MySQL or Postgres as a
back-end.

But, one more thing that I'll be looking at soon is that Claws Mail recently
announced that they're coming out with a new address book, here are some
details from the Claws mail list (users at lists.claws-mail.org):

Hi all users of claws,

Today a new branch of claws have been born which is the beginning of a
slightly different version of claws-mail. The difference is that this
version has a completely rewritten address book fulfilling many users
request for a more flexible address book.

The four major different features are:
1) Address book is separated from claws core communicating with claws
over DBus.
2) IMHO a more user friendly interface
3) Extensive search capabilities
4) Plugable design which opens up for contributing plugins to support
any thinkable storage back-ends

Currently there is only one storage back-end available - native claws
storage back-end, but a storage back-end for LDAP is soon to follow.

You can test it in one of two ways:
1) Full claws integration. This requires downloading the new-contacts
branch as well as claws-contacts from claws-mail.org. See instructions
below.
2) Run claws-contacts as a stand-alone address book along your current
claws-mail with the old address book. This requires downloading
claws-contacts from claws-mail.org. If you choose this way there will
be no integration with claws-mail.

Usage instructions:
After compiling and installing claws-contacts start claws-contacts
Applications->Office->claws-contacts. When starting claws-contacts for
the first time no plugins will be loaded, so enter Ctrl+M to open the
plugin window to load a plugin providing a storage back-end of your
choice. At present the only available is the XML plugin providing
native claws-mail address book support. When first activated your
current address book(s) will automatically be imported (your current
address book(s) will not be changed in any way) and a pop-up will show
up displaying current used attributes. Choose OK to continue using the
current attributes or add more attributes if you desire. Be aware
though, you should not choose to remove any of the found attributes
since found attributes means that the currently have data associated
and therefore remove attributes means loosing data. The names for the
address book(s) are taken from the folder names and if several folders
exists with the same name they will be merged in which case it is
advisable to close claws-contact and the reopen it since the merger
takes place when the address book is closed.

At present the settings dialog only holds one information which is the
default address book. The default address book is used as the fall back
address book when adding new contacts over the DBus interface in case
no information of address book is available. It is therefore in your
best interest to configure that.

Grab the source this way:
New claws-mail branch:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at claws-mail.org:/ co -r new-contacts claws