[CS-FSLUG] OT: PC(USA) okay with 'gay' clergy

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat May 14 15:53:16 CDT 2011

On 05/14/2011 12:33 PM, Timothy Butler wrote:

> On May 13, 2011, at 11:59 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> Fair question and one which none of us can answer with assurance. One
>> could easily assume He might do what he did in the temple. Don't ever
>> assume, and many of us have made that mistake, that our Lord wouldn't
>> let those in a house of worship "get it with both barrels" if needed.
>> And,
>> we have a LOT of churches that really need that!
>
> Agreed. My big sense is just that we spend too much time worrying
> about "the other." I did for years. Trouble is, "the other" was messed
> up theology but loving people well (think the Good Samaritan) while
> "the same" was acting like the Scribes and Pharisees. That isn't
> always true, but it has been in my experiences.

There are many unsaved who love people well. I can't help but use an
example of Rick Warren and his "touchy feely" don't mention specific
sins, in fact even in general too many times or the collection plate
won't be full theology....among other theology wrongs. But, they love
people well. :-$

> Too often, Evangelicals want to succeed so badly, we don't hold our
> own folks to the same level of accountability we hold everyone else
> to. It is funny, I'll talk to friends from the old church (or similar
> churches) and they tell me all the bad things the liberals are doing.
> Meanwhile, they refuse to do anything about their own pastors. Which
> can make us -- it certainly makes /me/ -- a hypocrite.

Correct!!

> A moderate PC(USA) pastor and a very liberal Episcopalian seminarian
> came to help me while Evangelicals scratched their head and tried to
> figure out if they could blame me (and the others) for what the pastor
> did. It really brings the Good Samaritan to life. Who loves mercy,
> defends justice and walks humbly with their God, as Micah talked about?

Few. I'd wonder about the motivation of the Episcopalian.....might have
been properly motivated and maybe not.

> I still disagree with them, and will do my part to promote orthodoxy,
> but it reminded me that good theology without good practice is dead
> and more damaging to Christ than the reverse.

I don't know if it's more or not, but certainly as bad.

Fred

--
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it
tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown