[CS-FSLUG] OT: PC(USA) okay with 'gay' clergy

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat May 14 11:24:59 CDT 2011

On May 13, 2011, at 10:43 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> I am happily out of the E-Free for theological reasons, in addition to the others. I am much better suited to the Presbyterian world where I basically belonged.
>
> Interesting. Chuck Swindoll? I find it hard to believe that he'd be involved in anything not on the "up and up." Not knowingly anyway.

Yeah, I don't have anything against Chuck Swindoll (or D.A. Carson, another E-Free guy), but I think the denominational tenor is not healthy. It checks all the right boxes to be "evangelical," but as Karl noted, it seems to have a tendency to create a "megachurch" like atmosphere. It seems to support very authoritarian structures and provides little to no accountability to local church pastors. My old pastor is fairly influential in the denomination, so while the denominational leaders know he is doing immoral (and even illegal) activities, they look the other way.

	-Tim