[CS-FSLUG] M$ and interoperability

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sun May 8 22:28:44 CDT 2011

On Sun, 08 May 2011 22:05:13 -0500, George Rodier <gwgr at shaw.ca> wrote:

> "Open Source is all about the applications," said he.

I suppose we all have our answer to this, but I say he's wrong. Open
Source is about having control, a control M$ and associates vehemently
deny anyone should even want, much less have. When I convince someone to
migrate to Linux -- as I did with one client today -- it is always about
control. I am giving them back their computer; it's more work for them in
some ways, but no one can take it from them again.

> Then too, he also made it quite clear that, for M$, interoperability is
> a one-way street as they have no plan or desire to make it possible for
> any Windows application to run on any Linux server.

Nicely stated. Not news to me, but it's always valuable to see it freshly
restated from time to time.

--
Ed Hurst
--------