[CS-FSLUG] IE6 in todays market place

davidm at hisfeet.net davidm at hisfeet.net
Fri Jun 10 14:07:36 CDT 2011

Internet explorer 6 seems to be a thorn in the side of Google and Microsoft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13639875
In that article I noted tese two quotes, and I wondered why.

"Microsoft's campaign to stop people using Internet Explorer 6 is one of
the longest running upgrade efforts."
"About 34% of Chinese net users are on IE6, as are 22.3% of South Koreans
and 11.6% of Vietnamese people."

The first thought was that "wine" (last time I looked) depends on IE6. I
don't use wine, but many do.  But the second qoute (above) made me think
that IE6 may still be viable for some older computers (and for that matter
the whole of the ten year old windows OS) on smaller, older computers
still in wide use in third world countries, or among poorer populations in
wealthier places. (or course most or all of these installations will be
pirated and/or completely unsupported)

I followed the following link from that article to this interesting
(biased) chart.
http://www.theie6countdown.com/default.aspx