[CS-FSLUG] Sed and other tools

Robert Wohlfarth rbwohlfarth at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 11:05:41 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM, <davidm at hisfeet.net> wrote:

> Intensely interesting conversation! If I want to learn something about
> simple programing is perl a good language to pursue? If so, can you point
> me to a good place or good documentation to get started?

Yeah, the geek in me loves this type of discussion too.

Yes, Perl is a good language to start. "Perl5 for Dummies" provides the
basics. And it's a little easier to follow than reading the documentation
cold.

A scripting language is a good first choice to start programming. Perl is a
scripting language. Python too. Scripting languages are more forgiving,
handle some of the thorny details for you, and are quick to get started.
Once you're comfortable with Perl, I would also recommend studying unix
shell scripting. It provides a nice contrast, seeing how the two differ.

--
Robert Wohlfarth