[CS-FSLUG] Sed and other tools

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:52:16 CDT 2011

I cannot speak for Perl, but Python has been fairly easy for me to pick up,
and is frequently used for text processing, as well as web development.  I
wouldn't be of much help in that direction, other than to say that the folks
on the Python newbie mailing list are generally pretty accessible.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of both can offer some thoughts on this?
Don

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 15:01, <davidm at hisfeet.net> wrote:

> Intensely interesting conversation! If I want to learn something about
> simple programing is perl a good language to pursue? If so, can you point
> me to a good place or good documentation to get started?
>
> > On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Heh. It did indeed put the linebreaks back in, but also left the new
> >> file double-spaced. That is, a new empty line between each previous
> >>
> >> line.
> >>

> > Oops. That's should be easy enough to fix. Find the line that says my
> $all
> > =
> > join( "\n", @slurp );. Change it to read my $all = join( "", @slurp );.
> > The
> > *join* command added the extra newline.
> >
> > --
> > Robert Wohlfarth

D.C. Parris, FMP, LEED AP O+M, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate
https://www.xing.com/profile/Don_Parris  |
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcparris
GPG Key ID: F5E179BE