[CS-FSLUG] Samba Server folder shows empty

Josiah Ritchie josiah at ritchietribe.net
Tue Jan 25 09:40:11 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:

> Trying to understand what happened here. I set up Samba on my RHEL 6
> server. It worked fine. The Windows clients could browser the folder and
> use the printer.
>
> I have no idea what changed, but today the folder shows up empty on the
> Windows client. It's not empty on the server, but the client can't see
> anything.
>
> Any ideas how I would diagnose this? My search engine efforts indicated
> a couple of ideas, but nothing made any difference.

Permissions would be my suspicion.

  * The config for the share could impact this, check the share for
something unexpected.
  * Did Samba get upgraded automatically and change something?
  * If samba restarted and was running as one user (you for debug
purposes) and is now running as a default samba user it may not have
access to the files to share.
  * Are you using ACLs? getfacls might show permissions stuff that it
wouldn't before
  * Has the username trying to access the resources on the windows box
changed? The user logged into Samba may not have access to the files.

Hope some of those are helpful and not entirely duplicates of things
you've already seen.

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen