[CS-FSLUG] How could this be happening

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue May 11 21:15:48 CDT 2010

Hi,
Clicking on details for the various "details" one gets to this URL:
http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=174.101.105.47
It claims that the computer is running a particular spambot:
/"This IP is infected (or NATting for a computer that is infected) with
the rustock spambot."
/
Looking up that spambot and you find that it is a windows-based spambot.
(whew)

That leaves a few different options.
1) It is when she boots into windows that things are sent out.
2) She rebooted her router and got an IP that was previously owned by
someone having that spambot
3) She has a computer that she is un-aware of on her network...  ;)

Again, regardless of whether or not the contact from Roadrunner was sent
for a valid reason, you should still consider her request as valid.  As
you mentioned, she wants Linux uninstalled, regardless of whether or not
the notice from Roadrunner was valid.  If you simply tell her she is a
fool, she will not trust you, nor your operating system.  If you do
track down the actual problem or respond in a gentle way, then you may
be able to regain her trust.  The same goes with Roadrunner.  If you
yell at them, they will probably not respond.  But when you go through
the paces of issue verification, you can usually get an apology out of a
company if they actually did make a mistake.

But, since the issue the blacklist lookup found was on Windows, you
should at least check out her Windows again.  Since we know the name of
the spambot, you should be able to google the various ways to know for
sure if the computer has it.

     - Tim Young