[CS-FSLUG] 'Extremely severe' flaw in Opera web browser

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Wed May 5 10:42:23 CDT 2010

On Wed, 05 May 2010 10:00:55 -0500, Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net> wrote:

> I didn't want to install too many Fedora packages, and I didn't want to
> take the time to figure out the whole 'build from source' option -- so
> on that install I'm using Thunderbird for mail instead of Claws. It's
> an interesting change...

They say RHEL 6 is compatible, but hardly identical with Fedora 12. As in
the past, I have preferred to stay as close to the upstream as possible.
That said, I dug through building from SRPMs everything I've wanted so
far. I managed to stumble my way through trading the
'gstreamer-plugins-bad-free' for the more expansive
'gstreamer-plugins-bad' and rebuild Totem to accommodate the differences.
Dozens of SPRMs from several sources. I am by no means an RPM hacker, but
I did modify a few SPEC files and got what I wanted. Now, Totem plays
everything I throw at it. I wrote it up in terse form:

    http://soulkiln.org/RHEL6-MediaBuild.txt

I also built Sword and Xiphos from SRPMs, which was quite simple compared
to multimedia stuff. Just learn how to satisfy the dependencies and it all
works just fine. Now I have this big pile of RPMs I can share, but I'm not
smart enough to setup a Yum repository.

I notice on this machine of mine, RHEL 6 is about the fastest thing I've
ever run so far. I really don't like the poor support for my Radeon HD
4350, but I can live with that until X.org and ATI get their acts
together. Meanwhile, fonts have never looked this good on this hardware,
and that includes any *buntu, XP and Win7 with all the nifty tweaks each
offers.

--
Ed Hurst