[CS-FSLUG] Issue trackers

Chris chris at deksai.com
Fri Mar 12 11:10:52 CST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:16:15PM -0600, Robert Wohlfarth wrote:
>    I'm researching issue tracking software for work. There's a lot out there such as BugTraq, Redmine, or FogBugz. I am just at the very
>    beginning, and would greatly value friendly counsel. With all of the smart, technical people on this list, I was hoping there might be a few
>    recommendations for taking a closer look.
>    We'll be using the system for tracking data problems (bad formatting, missing information) and file processing. Clients send files, and we
>    load them into a database. When something goes wrong, it often takes weeks to resolve. Remembering everything that has happened is difficult.
>    Issue tracking software would let us quickly see what open issues we have, what has happened, and who is handling it.
>    --
>    Robert Wohlfarth

This is an area that I know next to nothing about, which is obviously why I
feel compelled to write something about it... Take it for what it's worth ;-)

I've used manymoon (some king of google api app), which fits the type of
projects and work flow I have at work (lots of servers, hundreds of thousands
of users, and stuff happening all over the place, projects happening when they
have time to happen).  Our projects and "issues" fit in there nicely.  We have
a commercial ticket system for customer problems, which works well for that.
We tried it for our internal stuff and ended up hating it.  I'm not sure why,
but it just didn't go with our flow.

For my personal stuff, I've tried mantis,bugzilla and buggenie.  I've settled
on buggenie simply because of the ajaxyness of it, and it looks decent.  The
mold I have to squeeze my projects into to fit the work flow is a little
contrived though.  I'm sure it's geared more towards corporate software than
some guy hacking open source stuff on his own terms.  I just make up some
nonsense to fill in for the organizational stuff I don't really use (editions
etc.), and then just use it to track issues.

If I hadn't learned to despise ruby on rails from dealing with it on servers, I
might have tried redmine.  People seem to like it quit a bit.  I just noticed
yesterday that postgres started using it for some of their projects.

Chris