[CS-FSLUG] Buried Coax Cable ID

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Thu Aug 19 11:04:44 CDT 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:20:29 -0500, Tim Young <Tim.Young at lightsys.org>
wrote:

> I have never seen electrical wiring done that way, but it is conceivable
> that was something like that.  By your description of the insides of the
> wire, I am assuming that you have already chopped into it and did not
> lose power to your house, your neighbor's house, or electrocute
> yourself...

It's quite obviously coax. It was cut late in the afternoon, and no
services have responded. The trailer park management has never heard of
that size line being used. Where it cut it, the line appears to run from
some place in the center of the yard. Consider, right next to this garden
plot is another which has already been completely turned over shovel-blade
depth, so unless it's deeper there, it can't have crossed that.

The other end runs around back of the trailer, the master bedroom end. Our
own cable service runs much thinner coax and it parallels the far side of
our trailer.

If nothing happens today, I'm going to dig up a bit more of it tomorrow,
because it appears to run almost the length of the garden bed I'm digging.
There is a phone junction box standing outside of the garden plot, but
it's not in line with this cable. We were specifically told the utilities
were too deep to be affected by this sort of garden digging. Puzzling,
indeed.

--
Ed Hurst