[CS-FSLUG] Buried Coax Cable ID

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Thu Aug 19 09:20:29 CDT 2010

  I'd second the vote for "Cable TV."  I have seen many wires buried
this way.  Many of the shared coax wires are buried in tubing, but I
have seen a lot of wires going to houses that are just a single wire
in the ground.

How to test it?  Well, I would look around your house to see if there
is an old cable connection.  If there is, see if it came in from the
ground...  But what you are describing, with an inner and outer wire,
sounds like a basic form of "coax."  The old 10Base2 network wire was
similar, though it sounds like what you are describing is a bit
higher gauge.  Any clues from where it is coming/going?  If it was
coming from the sidewalk area towards the house, then I would suspect
an old cable TV connection.  If from the house towards the back-yard,
then an old satellite system.  If it is going from your living-room
to the unmarked van parked on the street, then you know it was their
wire-tap and they are screwing their silencers on their pistols and
pulling black-masks over their faces as we write this..  ;)

I have never seen electrical wiring done that way, but it is
conceivable that was something like that.  By your description of the
insides of the wire, I am assuming that you have already chopped into
it and did not lose power to your house, your neighbor's house, or
electrocute yourself...  ;)