[CS-FSLUG] Copying files and permissions

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 22:58:46 CDT 2010

> Further note: In times past, specifically with Ubuntu and other Debian
> friends, when I use 'chmod -R 644', it manages to clobber access to the
> folders. Instead of 'drwxr-xr-x' I get 'drw-r--r--'. I have no idea why.

Once again, I don't have things to test specifically, but you can do it
without the numbered notation.  Something like:

chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX,go-w <path>

Double check the man page, but the capital X rather than the lower case
x should only set the execute bit on directories or already executable
files.

sjm