[CS-FSLUG] North Korean Red Star Linux operating system details emerge

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:29:41 CDT 2010

Fred A. Miller wrote:

> Who could have imagined that Linux would ever have been used in this
> fashion.  I wonder if this violates the GPL in any way.  Its probably
> a foregone conclusion that the N. Korean government has no intention
> of upholding the rules of the GPL and have made the source code for
> Red Star a state secret.  A truly sad day for the Linux Community,
> seeing Linux, which promotes freedom, being used to perpetuate a
> regime which is against Freedom in all its forms.

Interesting news, but assuming things like this just spreads FUD.

I see it as similar to what Venezuela and even Massachusetts are trying
to do.  Get rid of dependencies on specific companies and in the case of
North Korea and Venezuela, if those companies are from the "evil empire"
of the US, so much the better in their eyes.

sjm