[CS-FSLUG] General Advice SSDs and Linux

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Apr 1 14:31:04 CDT 2010

Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> writes:
> I was reviewing the 32GB SSDs, which vary at retail between
> $100-$120. That's about the same size as my current drive (which works
> fine, but that isn't the issue).

Well, OK.  Then your placement upon the market-worthiness scale is
extremely different from most folks these days.  You're operating at the
very low end of storage capacity.

Just today, I saw a 32G USB flash drive available at Walmart for $70.

For myself, my root filesystems alone are 30G, they run 2/3 full or
more, I normally configure a disc with 2 root partitions (because it
makes upgrading from version N to version N+1 very easy), and I depend
on 100s of Gbytes for personal stuff in /home, especially VMs'
pseudo-discs as I do cross-platform development.