[CS-FSLUG] What if DNS goes down?

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Sep 18 16:26:21 CDT 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:05:42 -0500, sjm <sjm.mlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> My guess is that the question comes more from that idea.

You're getting there. I was more interested in the workings of DNS. Most
of the stuff I found was either over my head, or too simple. Not enough at
that in-between level. My questions have been satisfied, and I am grateful
for the answers everyone contributed. However, more banter on the issue is
always welcome, naturally.

I confess my question was related to some hyperbole I keep running into
regarding the recent mention of seeking some sort of presidential
authority to "shut down the Net." Most people who keep pressing this story
allege it is related to DNS and the root server system. I needed
ammunition to show this, at least, was not so. There may be other ways to
do what the scare-mongers allege, but that's a whole other issue.

Again, my thanks to all who pitched in to help me understand.

--
Ed Hurst