[CS-FSLUG] What if DNS goes down?

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 18 15:20:40 CDT 2009

Sophie Hamilton wrote:
> On 9/18/09, Ed Hurst <ehurst at soulkiln.org> wrote:
>>  My knowledge is limited. Let's pretend for a moment some ruler decides for
>> his country to "shut down the Net" the only way he knows -- kill the root
>> DNS servers, or something similar.
>
> The 13 root DNS servers are spread out all over the world, not based
> in one country. As long as one root DNS server exists, DNS queries can
> still theoretically work, although that one DNS server would be under
> enormous strain.

I was under the impression that these 13 "root servers" know where the
name server is for each tld; so a client would next query the name
server for a particular tld.  If the nameservers for a particular ccTLD
were taken down (Ed's question); then would not all sites for that
country be down after ttl expired?