[CS-FSLUG] Yes, Ubuntu can absolutely be the default Windows alternative

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Thu Oct 29 05:42:59 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 23:00:39 Ed Hurst wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:57:43 -0500, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net>
>
> wrote:
> > I've been using it for about 2-3 months now. I don't really have any
> > complaints.
>
> I kept getting random X server lockups with different applications. I'd be
> typing along, invariably on something important, and it would freeze all X
> functions. I had to do a hard reset to get it back. Since it didn't happen
> with other OSes, I could only conclude it was something unique to the way
> Ubuntu is put together. It gave me the excuse I needed to try openSUSE
> 11.2-RC1. After some initial fixing, it's working quite well.
> I've long ago grown tired of testing and hopping from one distro to
> another. All I wanted was something that would run on this machine and let
> me do my writing. Naturally, it had to be Linux or BSD because of my work
> habits. If things keep working as I hope, this will be a keeper.

There are a number of reason I get fed up with KDE. Don't get me wrong it's a
great desktop, I just may go back to it some day. But anyway I just got tired
of something going from working 1 day to being broke the next.

I also discovered a lot in Gnome that just plain works. For example
Knetworkmanager never would show other wireless networks that were near me, so
when taking my laptop to the library or McDonalds where they offer free wifi, I
had to manually do the work to connect, but with the network manager in Gnome,
it automatically finds the networks and lists them.

I also noticed this, My Kodak easy share z760 takes movies using the quicktime
format and with every app I tried in KDE the movie would playback but sound
was so choppy it was annoying, but on Gnome, that problem disappears. The
solution to this problem according to everyone on the KDE list was to install
a different app.

If you keep listening to this advice, pretty soon you realize you have a
different app for every format, because 1 format doesn't work on this or that.

just my .02

--
Blessings
David M.